Haiku Poem

Cherry blossoms bloom,

The sun shines high in the sky

Spring has arrived here,

Sun rays break through clouds,

Heat swivels around the place,

Summer has arrived,

Leaves rustle in wind,

Red, orange, brown paints the path,

Autumn has arrived,

Frost layers the earth,

Snowflakes trickle down on trees,

Winter has arrived.

For the past few weeks in literacy we have been focusing on poetry. This is an example of a Haiku poem. A Haiku poem is a Japanese poem. The first line has five syllables, the second line has seven syllables and the last line has another five syllables. One feature of a Haiku poem is figurative language. Figurative language is when a person writes phrase and includes an expression that is different from a literal interpretation. For example, “The word is on the tip of my tongue.”

7 thoughts on “Haiku Poem

1. I love your poem. Also you gave a clear explanation of what figurative language is and what a haiku poem is. Great job!!

2. Hi Claire,
    That poem was great. I definitely decided cherry blossoms blooming. I loved your figurative language in it. Great job 🥳🤩

Izzy

3. Hi Claire,
    I really liked reading your haiku. I liked how it had lots of stanzas and used repetition. I also liked how you gave an example of figurative language.
    From Charlie.

4. Hey Claire,

You did so well on your haiku. I love how you said red, orange, brown paints the path. Instead of saying the coulors of the leaves paint the path. Great job!!

Millie

5. Hi Claire,
    I really like how you used a lot of descriptive words in your haiku poem. I also liked how you gave us a short glimpse of what you were doing.
    From Flynn

6. Hello,
    I loved your repitition on your Haiku! You were really descriptive and I liked how you used the seasons!
    What is your favourite season?
    From Joanna

7. Hi Claire,
    I really enjoyed reading your poem. You have used many intricate words which helped me draw a mental picture.
    I liked how you used repetition and used the subject ‘Seasons’.
    Great job!
    Annabel